South West Coast Path - Dorset Coast
72 miles (115kms) from Lyme Regis to Poole Harbour
8 nights; 7 days walking
A switchback route along the top of towering cliffs all the way from Lyme Regis to West Bay; easy walking on beaches, shingle banks and field paths between West Bay and Osmington Mills; a challenging roller-coaster of chalk downland which ends abruptly in massive cliffs all along the coast of the Isle of Purbeck between White Nothe and Foreland Point; beaches and colourful, wildlife-rich Dorset heath between Studland and South Haven Point on the shore of Poole Harbour.
Highlights include the famous Cobb at Lyme Regis; the views from the top of the Golden Cap; The Swannary at Abbotsbury, and the 15th century St Catherine’s Chapel; the world-famous Chesil Bank and the Fleet Lagoon; the towering rock arch of Durdle Door; the tranquil circular lagoon of Lulworth Cove; the crescent sweep of Worbarrow Bay; the view of Portland Bill from Flowers Barrow; the exhilarating climb to the top of Houns-Tout Cliff; the charming town of Swanage; the chalk sea stacks of Old Harry Rocks; the Norman church in Studland; and the steel sculpture at South Haven Point which marks the end of the South West Coast Path.
To give you a 'taster' of the landscape take a look at the beautiful aerial photography in this short video.
Approximate daily distances:
- Lyme Regis to West Bay - 10 miles (16 kms)
- West Bay to Abbotsbury - 10 miles (16 kms)
- Abbotsbury to Weymouth - 14 miles (22 kms)
- Weymouth to Lulworth Cove - 12 miles (19 kms)
- Lulworth Cove to Kimmeridge - 8 miles (13 kms)
- Kimmeridge to Swanage - 13 miles (21 kms)
- Swanage to South Haven Point (Poole Harbour) - 8 miles (13 kms)
- All of the above prices are per person, and based upon two guests sharing a double or twin-bedded room.
- Single traveller supplement; £75 per night (more about solo traveller supplements and single room supplements).
- Discounts available for parties of three or more guests.
Currency Converter: All of our prices are in British pounds. To estimate the cost in another currency use the currency converter here.
Onward travel: Public bus
Travel information - finish
Onward travel: On foot or taxi