South West Coast Path - South Devon Coast, West
63 miles (101kms) from Plymouth to Dartmouth
7 nights; 6 days walking
A walk through along the waterfront of Plymouth, past numerous sites of historic significance, including Plymouth Hoe, Smeaton’s Tower, the Mayflower Steps, Sutton Pool and the Citadel; a stretch of rolling coastline dissected by tidal river estuaries and ferry crossings between Wembury and Bantham; a superb rugged coastline with massive headlands and a hilly hinterland of crazy contours between Bolt Tail and the beautiful town of Dartmouth.
Highlights include the historic sites of Plymouth; the beautiful Fleet estuary; the views across to Burgh Island with its famous art deco hotel (and a walk across to the island if the tide is out); Sharpitor, where the path picks a rocky route above the turquoise waters of the Kingsbridge Estuary; Salcombe - Britain’s most southerly resort - where lemon trees and colour-washed cottages give the town a Mediterranean feel; the far-reaching views along the coast from Bolt Head, Prawle Point and Start Point; Slapton Ley Nature Reserve where a freshwater lake separated from the sea by a shingle bar attracts a wealth of wildlife; and the view across the picturesque River Dart to the village of Kingswear on the far bank.
Approximate daily distances:
- Plymouth Hoe to Noss Mayo - 13 miles (21 kms)
- Noss Mayo to Mothecombe - 9 miles (14 kms)
- Wonwell to Bantham (including a 3kms walk across the sands to Burgh Island, and back) - 8 miles (13 kms)
- Bantham to Salcombe - 11 miles (18 kms)
- Salcombe to Torcross - 12 miles (19 kms)
- Torcross to Dartmouth - 10 miles (16 kms)
- All of the above prices are per person, and based upon two guests sharing a double or twin-bedded room.
- Single traveller supplement; £75 per night (more about solo traveller supplements and single room supplements).
- Discounts available for parties of three or more guests.
Currency Converter: All of our prices are in British pounds. To estimate the cost in another currency use the currency converter here.
Onward travel: On foot or taxi
Travel information - finish
Onward travel: Public bus