South West Coast Path - Dorset Coast
89 miles (142kms) from Lyme Regis to Poole Harbour
9 nights; 8 days walking
A switchback route along the top of towering cliffs all the way from Lyme Regis to West Bay; easy walking on beaches, shingle banks and field paths between West Bay and Osmington Mills; a challenging roller-coaster of chalk downland which ends abruptly in massive cliffs all along the coast of the Isle of Purbeck between White Nothe and Foreland Point; beaches and colourful, wildlife-rich Dorset heath between Studland and South Haven Point on the shore of Poole Harbour.
Highlights include the famous Cobb at Lyme Regis; the views from the top of the Golden Cap; The Swannary at Abbotsbury, and the 15th century St Catherine’s Chapel; the world-famous Chesil Bank and the Fleet Lagoon; the Isle of Portland and the views from Portland Bill, the towering rock arch of Durdle Door; the tranquil circular lagoon of Lulworth Cove; the crescent sweep of Worbarrow Bay; the view of Portland Bill from Flowers Barrow; the exhilarating climb to the top of Houns-Tout Cliff; the charming town of Swanage; the chalk sea stacks of Old Harry Rocks; the Norman church in Studland; and the steel sculpture at South Haven Point which marks the end of the South West Coast Path.
To give you a 'taster' of the landscape take a look at the beautiful aerial photography in this short video.
Approximate daily distances:
- Lyme Regis to West Bay - 10 miles (16 kms)
- West Bay to Abbotsbury - 10 miles (16 kms)
- Abbotsbury to Fortuneswell (Isle of Portland) - 14 miles (22 kms)
- Fortuneswell to Weymouth - 14 miles (22 kms)
- Weymouth to Lulworth Cove - 12 miles (19 kms)
- Lulworth Cove to Kimmeridge - 8 miles (13 kms)
- Kimmeridge to Swanage - 13 miles (21 kms)
- Swanage to South Haven Point (Poole Harbour) - 8 miles (13 kms)
Note; if you prefer not to take in the circuit of the Isle of Portland and instead walk from Abbotsbury to Weymouth (14 miles (22 kms) as the third stage, thereby reducing the holiday to eight nights and seven days walking, the cost of the holiday would reduce to £975.
- All of the above prices are per person, and based upon two guests sharing a double or twin-bedded room.
- Single traveller supplement; £75 per night (more about solo traveller supplements and single room supplements).
- Discounts available for parties of three or more guests.
Currency Converter: All of our prices are in British pounds. To estimate the cost in another currency use the currency converter here.
Onward travel: Public bus
Travel information - finish
Onward travel: On foot or taxi